Sunday, March 2, 2008

Chemotherapy History

Chemotheraphy was and still is a very mysterious thing. I'm not qualified to go into the scientific details of how chemo works but I can let you know what specific treatments I've had, explain the side effects that I experience and most importantly, how it is controlling my cancer.
I was very excited to get the theraphy started. I told my Dr. I wanted the most aggressive approach available.

I've had four types of chemotheraphy drugs: Oxaliplatin, Gemcitabine, Tarceva and Irinotecan over the past 17 months -- a total of 54 infusions. The drugs are combined and are infused a day apart, every two weeks. They have been very effective in reducing tumor size.

There are a lot of stories of how bad the side effects can be. I've had a lot of them but for the most part they have not been that bad, even my hair is still intact. The chemo that has given me the most problems is Oxaliplatin, however it has also worked very well in fighting the cancer. Trying to ward off the side effects get very complex at times.

My Naturopathic Dr. Loch Chandler, who specializes in working with cancer patients, provided the proper nutrients to keep the side effects to a minimum. You will need to nurture your digestive system so you can keep eating properly.

No comments: